With Pressure Mounting, CNN Says Fiorina Doesn’t Have To Sit at Kids’ Table

In a recent statement, CNN is changing its criteria for the second GOP presidential debate after mass criticism from almost every media outlet, including IVN. This change will allow Carly Fiorina, previously excluded from CNN’s first criteria, a chance to participate in the main debate if her poll numbers remain high.

CNN’s old criteria counted nine polls before the first GOP debate and only two polls since the debate. This placed Fiorina at a disadvantage despite uncontestedly winning the first GOP B-list debate and having remarkably higher poll numbers since the debate.

The new criteria states that any candidate ranking in the top ten between August 7 and September 10 will be included in the main debate on September 16, titled “Segment B.”

In a world where we expected there to be at least 15 national polls, based on historic precedent, it appears there will be only five. As a result, we now believe we should adjust the criteria to ensure the next debate best reflects the most current state of the national race. – CNN

After finding out about the change on Meghan McCain’s radio show, Fiorina said “It’s pretty clear that I’m in the top five, and so I think they made the right decision based on the data, which clearly has shifted in my case dramatically.”

Ben Carson, rising in recent polls, is also delighted with this change.

As the sole woman in the GOP field, it is good to know that Fiorina will have her shot at the main stage. Furthermore, it is enlightening to witness the effort put forth by grassroots social media and news outlets and their ability to alter institutions in order to make politics fair, even if it is only for one GOP debate.

Photo Credit: CNN