Last night, vice presidential candidates Joe Biden and Paul Ryan took to the stage at Centre College in Danville, Kentucky to debate the economy, foreign policy, medicare, social security, and abortion. Meanwhile, the internet community was actively tweeting the debate, sending a total of 3.5 million tweets during the vice presidential debate. While this is only one-third the amount of tweets sent during the first presidential debate between President Obama and former Governor Mitt Romney, Joe Biden and Paul Ryan sparked some interesting conversation online. The internet community jumped on the opportunity to capitalize on the newly released workout photos of Paul Ryan, quickly generating a series of internet memes poking fun at the photos. Joe Biden’s smile also received a lot of attention on Twitter, prompting someone to create the parody account @LaughinJoeBiden which now has almost 10,000 followers. To highlight the best tweets of the night, here are the top 10 tweets of the vice presidential debate:
1) What Andrew Kaczynski of Buzzfeed gathered from the debate is that apparently, America wants to see Paul Ryan shirtless. Just one of the many findings from Google after the one and only Vice Presidential debate.
The third most searched term for Paul Ryan during the VP debate was "shirtless." http://t.co/P0i6w0Hc
— Andrew Kaczynski (@BuzzFeedAndrew) October 12, 2012
2) Some post-debate speculation from California humorist.
Joe Biden's having a scotch right now while Paul Ryan's mom is putting his "debate participation" certificate on the refrigerator. #vpdebate
— Buck4itt (@buck4itt) October 12, 2012
3) As with the first presidential debate, the internet was buzzing with drinking game rules.
whoever is using "My Friend" as the key word for the #DebateDrinkingGame should be DRIZZUNK right about now.
— Questlove Jenkins (@questlove) October 12, 2012
4) The twitter parody account @PaulRyanGosling didn’t disappoint with this tweet, as the Hey Girl, It’s Paul Ryan tumblr account followed suit spoofing the pictures of Paul Ryan working out released by Time into a widely circulated meme.
Hey girl, Biden keeps flashing those pearly whites, but we all know dimples trump all. #vpdebate
— Paul Ryan Gosling (@PaulRyanGosling) October 12, 2012
5) Speaking of those photos of Paul Ryan working out…
— Michael Buckley (@buckhollywood) October 12, 2012
6) Media Matters picks a political cartoon to depict last night’s debate, highlighting the attention placed on Biden’s smile during the debate.
— Media Matters (@mmfa) October 12, 2012
7) A glimpse into what it would look like if Joe Biden and Paul Ryan switched hairstyles.
— Shelby White (@ShelbyWhite) October 12, 2012
8) Joe Biden was perceived to have performed much better than President Obama. Omar L. Gallaga, tech culture writer for CNN, attributes this to Red Bull.
Obama text to Biden: "Fine, Joe, u were right – RedBull does giv u wings" #debates
— Omar L. Gallaga (@omarg) October 12, 2012
9) Donald Trump keeps it real, sharing his honest opinion of the candidates’ debate performances.
Credibility is important to me- hence must admit that both candidates did really well last night. #VPDebate
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 12, 2012
10) And a great summary of last night’s debate.
If you mute the debate it's just two guys smiling and laughing at each other. #vpdebate
— Molly McNearney (@mollymcnearney) October 12, 2012
Did we miss any? Share your comments and best tweets below!