People like to argue over whether or not Martin Luther King. Jr was a Republican or a Democrat. In truth, when you look at it his words and actions, his mission went beyond partisan politics.
It does a disservice to his memory to try to use the words and deeds of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to force him into a political box or to prop up a political agenda that does not serve the interests of society as a whole — only the selfish interests of the person, group, party, etc.
In honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., here are 5 quotes that show just how independent-minded Dr. King really was and what that meant for his mission:
1. “I don’t think the Republican party is a party full of the almighty God nor is the Democratic party. They both have weaknesses … And I’m not inextricably bound to either party.”
2. “I am convinced that men hate each other because they fear each other. They fear each other because they don’t know each other, and they don’t know each other because they don’t communicate with each other, and they don’t communicate with each other because they are separated from each other.”
3. “We need leaders not in love with money, but in love with justice. Not in love with publicity, but in love with humanity.”
4. “There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe nor politic nor popular, but he must take it because his conscience tells him it is right.”
5. “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”