- Manufactured outrage
- Hypocrisy and lies
- Dishonesty, misleading statements, and ethical lapses
- Cherry-picked facts to support what we want to believe, including dogma instead of science and facts
- Demonizing each other
- Hyperbole and false equivalency
- Unwillingness to listen to other’s opinions and experience
- Broken friendships and families over politics
- Being afraid for our country and our collective future
- “The ends justify the means”
Have you ever wondered how the German and Japanese people could have collectively participated in mass cruelty during WWII? We are living in an atmosphere where mass cruelty is rising, stoked by propaganda. Keep in mind that cruelty is not limited to an ideology -- it is a tool of war. I am both appalled and frightened.
Being afraid is no excuse for inaction. Instead, I choose a path of outreach and connection. I know as a nation, we will survive this -- and it is our job as citizens to make our current suffering an experience of transformation -- like the caterpillar metamorphosing to become a butterfly.
What small choices are you making in today’s climate?
Every day, I work to help people get along a little better, engaging my practice of compassion and empathy. I dream of a better future and take tiny steps towards it. I’m doing my part.
Are you doing yours?
We live in a propaganda-laden era; a war for our collective belief system. Our future lies in the truth, not what we want the truth to be. Seek truth. Be compassionate. It’s one way we avoid war -- my choice for minimal bloodshed. Collectively, we will choose our path. Let’s choose wisely.