Responding to a firestorm of controversy that began with a Washington Post article, National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster said Tuesday, “What the president discussed with foreign minister was wholly appropriate."
The Post article, citing anonymous sources, claimed the president shared highly classified information with top Russian officials during a closed-door meeting last week. McMaster said, “I was in the room, the secretary of state was in the room, the deputy national security advisor was in the room, nothing that was shared was inappropriate.” Trump tweeted Tuesday that he has the "absolute right" to share information. Like McMaster, the president neither confirmed nor denied whether the information he revealed was classified.
McMaster contended Trump did nothing to "make American citizens more vulnerable." The real concern, according to the national security advisor are the leaks that continue to come from the intelligence community. McMaster said, “National security is at-risk due to leaks, not information shared.”
Despite reports to the contrary, no person has officially gone on the record, stating what the president shared is classified.