Voting binds us together.
What binds us together more than our history of striving for freedom, our bond of exercising our free will for a better life, or our rights guaranteed by our constitution?
What tool do we have to protect and maintain our freedom to live as we choose? Our vote!
Here are 50 reasons to use it:
1. Democracy means "people-force." When you don't vote, 'the People' create a power vacuum.
2. People power is the only thing that can keep tyranny at bay, though it is no assurance.
3. As John Locke asserted, people are by nature, free. Voting is the natural right of the self-governed.
4.To honor Founding Father Benjamin Franklin’s challenge to us all. Following the close of the Constitutional Convention, he was asked “what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?” He answered,
"A Republic, if you can keep it!"
5. If you don't use your right to vote, you may lose your right to vote.
6. "Without the vote of a free man, I am but a slave without power to make decisions." - Gary Olson
8. Voting can make you Superman for one day, fighting for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
9. 65,000 people died or were wounded in the American Revolution, the start of what has been a great experiment in democracy.
“Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness.” - Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Philadelphia, Pa.
10. So you can complain with integrity.
"Elections belong to the people. It's their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the people and burn their behinds, then they will have to sit on their blisters." - Abraham Lincoln
13. "The vote is the most powerful instrument ever devised by man for breaking down injustice and destroying the terrible walls which imprison men because they are different from other men." - Lyndon Johnson
14. In honored memory of JFK and Robert Kennedy and their roles in the Civil Rights Movement.
15. To set a good example for younger generations.
"Old enough to fight, old enough to vote!"
17. "You can vote for yourself, or someone you really like." - Dillon McHugh
18. “The ballot is stronger than the bullet.” - Abraham Lincoln
19. We build our nation with votes. Vote local.
CityNation is what it is because our citizens are what they are." -Plato
21. "A wise man will not leave what is right to the mercy of chance, nor wish it to prevail through the power of the majority." - Thoreau
22. Because you have researched your candidates and can make an informed vote.
23. "Apathy gets you the government we have today." -Gil Sery
24. "If people won't vote for good candidates...because we think they won't win, why will good candidates continue to run?" -Eric and Rachel Jones
25. Less than 50 percent of eligible voters cast a vote in mid-term elections.
26. Only 60 percent of eligible voters vote in presidential elections.
27. "Taxation without representation is tyranny." - James Otis
28. "To prevent instability, injustice, and faction." -James Madison, Federalist #10
30. The excitement of casting YOUR vote.
31. The anticipation of waiting to see who wins.
32. "Because the rest of us are depending on you." -Marv DeBoy
33. Because, "Men of factious tempers, of local prejudices, or of sinister designs, may, by intrigue, by corruption, or by other means, first obtain the suffrages, and then betray the interests, of the people." -James Madison Federalist #10
34. To organize ourselves, through our representatives, into ONE NATION.
35. To guard against 'unworthy candidates' and the 'vicious arts' of politics. - James Madison, Federalist #10
36. To "choose the most attractive merit and established characters." - James Madison, Federalist #1037. "" - James Bovard
38. To vote for the lesser of two evils. - Mark Baland
39. To ensure representatives who are:
"...the medium of a chosen body of citizens, whose wisdom may best discern the true interest of their country, and whose patriotism and love of justice will be least likely to sacrifice it to temporary or partial considerations." - James Madison, Federalist #10
40. "It's a right, a duty and an honor. It can make a difference." - Doc Jesse
41. To ensure a liberal tradition of free and fair elections, civil rights, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, and protection of private property.
42. To honor the 2,852,901 U.S. citizens who gave their lives or have been wounded to protect the constitution that protects your right to self-determine your community, state, and nation.
43. The 38,159 missing in action, awaiting a return home to their nation of equality, justice, and freedom.
44. Our military protects us, but who protects them? YOU are their only defense. YOU can control, through votes and citizen action, how our 1,369,532 active duty service members are utilized.
45. "We electors have an important constitutional power placed in our hands; we have a check upon two branches of the legislature." - John Adams
46. Casting a vote feels great!47. "" - Plato
48. Your vote is the beginning of a relationship with your representative that can bolster your role in your community.
49. "Because their is hope for America." - Duncan Webb
50. There might be free food!