The United States’ Military and Department of Defense make up a huge portion of our country’s expenditures and has greatly influenced our government and citizens. Many Americans, however, don’t know the facts. Our nation considers the security of our citizens and our nation to be of the utmost importance in terms of our government’s priorities.
Here is a list of ten interesting facts about the US military and the Department of Defense that you may, or may not have known:
1. 30 of the 43 Presidents served in the Army, 24 during time of war, two earned the rank of 5-star General (President Washington and President Eisenhower) and one earned the Medal of Honor (President Theodore Roosevelt)2. Less than 28 percent of Americans between the ages of 17-23 are qualified for military service, that’s only about 1-in-4.
3. The Department of Defense employs about 1.8 million people on active duty. It is the single largest employer in the United States, with more employees than Exxon, Mobil, Ford, General Motors, and GE combined.
4. The Army was in charge of exploring and mapping much of America. For example, the Lewis and Clark Expedition was comprised of Army officers and noncommissioned officers.
Click for more military coverage: Military Series
5. The total known land area occupied by US bases and facilities is 15,654 square miles — bigger than Washington DC, Massachusetts, and New Jersey combined6. The Pentagon unveiled a 2013 budget plan that would cut $487 billion in spending over the next decade.
8. Each day in Afghanistan costs the government more than it did to build the entire Pentagon.
9. The Pentagon has no marble because it was built during World War II, and Italy, the source of marble, was an enemy country.
10. In 2008, the Pentagon spent more money every five seconds in Iraq than the average American earned in a year.
What’s your opinion of these 10 interesting facts about the US military and Department of Defense? Speak up!
Join the discussion Please be relevant and respectful.
The Pentagon having no marble has nothing to do with Italy being an enemy country. The United States has plenty of architectural quality marble. The following quote is from Wikipedia's Georgia Marble Company (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Marble_Company):
"The Georgia Marble Company supplied the marble used to build the New York Stock Exchange annex, the statue in the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C., the National Air and Space Museum, the East Wing of the National Gallery of Art, the Federal Reserve Bank in Cleveland, and the Buckingham Fountain in Chicago."
I tink having a commander-in-chief who has ever served especially in war time totally rocks. Tat way he clicks these mil situations bela tan d civil prezzos n can make a r8 independent decision weneva d need arises
i always liked u.s. army and the work. according to u.s. Economy. they have to save the money. and if they do. then they are saving millions to-gather. u.s. always spending millions and billions to war side. and today the nation is facing financial crisis. war never gives anything except dark.
if u.s. spend the money in their nation. then the nation will grow beautiful and strong. and once the nation is strong. then no
can touch it.
thank you so much. this helped me with my paper to a very generous soldier that is making where i live a better place.
Here's another fact:
Obama's failed stimulous cost the taxpayer more than seven years of war in Iraq.
Military industrial complex? I don’t deny that the military spends a ton, but the term “military industial complex” is smoke and mirrors to keep people from seeing that it’s entitlement programs that are bankrupting this country. 73% of our federal dollars into entitlements, even at the height of OIF and OEF. At least those in the military earn what they have. What have the welfare dregs and political hacks done for this country?
I'd rather spend 100 million dollars on a couple of arty shells than subsidize a welfare case’s habit.
Chuck: I have thought the same for a very long time. Let's get our military doing what they are supposed to do -- defending our borders, not defending other nations.
So much wasted money... not to mention wasted lives. Our service men and women deserve better than this! BRING our troops home, Mr. Obama!
I personally think we should pull all of our troops out of Afghanistan and Iraq and station them along the US/Mexico border!!!
Come home and rebuild America. President Eisenhower was SO correct about the Military Industrial Complex.....they're driving us to bankruptcy over wars that we have no reason the be fighting. We got Bin Laden, come home. Stop foreign aid to Afghanistan AND Pakistan. Screw 'em both. If you want to talk about a clear and present danger that presents a direct threat to Americans and our well being, let's help Mexico wipe out the Drug Lords wreaking havoc on their country. Helping them would help us. Duh.
I don't give a damn what that video shows. BRING ALL THE TROOPS HOME and DO IT NOW. Get the US the hell out of the UN .
"Gary Johnson" the libertarian candidate for president 2012 will bring the troops home immediately and use the money in this country, for the American people !!!
"10. In 2008, the Pentagon spent more money every five seconds in Iraq than the average American earned in a year." Why in 2008? Why not more recently also?
10. In 2008, the Pentagon spent more money every five seconds in Iraq than the average American earned in a year. Why are we looking at Afghanistan, when WE ARE STILL PAYING FOR IRAQ????
Military industrial complex? I don't deny that the military spends a ton, but the term "military industial complex" is smoke and mirrors to keep people from seeing that it's entitlement programs that are bankrupting this country. At least those in the military earn what they have. What have the welfare dregs and political hacks done for this country?
Very interesting information here. Did you notice that one President only served as a enlisted man?
Only one President (James Buchanan) served as an enlisted man in the military and did not go on to become an officer. (Military.com).
Which I found interesting being that he and Lincoln both agreed that the Blacks were not worth helping to settle and help develop their own communities to get them out of slavery.
"BRING ALL THE TROOPS HOME and DO IT NOW."
Are you familiar with the definition of insanity? So we jump out now, like we did in Nam, like we did in the '70's in Afghanistan, and we expect a different response? That would be an insane expectation.
Now I agree with your thought on the blasted UN. We need to dump that, and maybe use that building for something useful like a home for abandoned children. At least then it would accomplish something, instead of assisting the abuse of children world wide like the UN has done the past three decades. As well as other issues they have failed miserably in.
No in Iraq and Afghanistan we need to do what is needed, but this time do it right, or will end up with another Taliban running things again.
"No in Iraq and Afghanistan we need to do what is needed, but this time do it right, or will end up with another Taliban running things again."
should have said; "No in Iraq and Afghanistan we need to do what is needed, but this time do it right, or we will end up with another Taliban running things again."