The United States’ Military and Department of Defense make up a huge portion of our country’s expenditures and has greatly influence our government and citizens. However, many Americans are aloof to some of the actual statistics. Our nation considers the security of our citizens and our nation to be of the utmost importance in terms of United States government’s priorities. Here is a list of ten interesting facts about the US military and the Department of Defense that you may, or may not have known.
1. 30 of the 43 Presidents served in the Army, 24 during time of war, two earned the rank of 5-star General (President Washington and President Eisenhower) and one earned the Medal of Honor (President Theodore Roosevelt)
2. Less than 28 percent of Americans between the ages of 17-23 are qualified for military service, that’s only about 1-in-4.
3. The Department of Defense employs about 1.8 million people on active duty. It is the single largest employer in the United States, with more employees than Exxon, Mobil, Ford, General Motors, and GE combined.
4. The Army was in charge of exploring and mapping much of America. For example, the Lewis and Clark Expedition was comprised of Army officers and noncommissioned officers. The Army conducted several other expeditions through the American West, as well as Alaska and the Arctic.
5. The total known land area occupied by US bases and facilities is 15,654 square miles — bigger than Washington DC, Massachusetts, and New Jersey combined
6. The Pentagon unveiled a 2013 budget plan that would cut $487 billion in spending over the next decade.
8. Each day in Afghanistan costs the government more than it did to build the entire Pentagon.
9. The Pentagon has no marble because it was built during World War II, and Italy, the source of marble, was an enemy country.
10. In 2008, the Pentagon spent more money every five seconds in Iraq than the average American earned in a year.
What’s your opinion of these 10 interesting facts about the US military and Department of Defense? Speak up!